CHAPEL CLEEVE, MINEHEAD, SOMERSET

£ 1,595,000 17 Bedrooms

PROPERTY SPECIFICATIONS

Property reference: MIN080229

A grand Grade II* listed manor house offering some 27,000 square feet of accommodation some of which is requiring renovation, together with a restored two bedroom cottage all set in around seven acres of gardens and grounds within half a mile of the coast.

• Grade II* Listed Tudor style Manor House comprising some 27,000 sq.ft. of accommodation
• Set within some 7 acres of gardens and grounds
• Close to the Coast and the Exmoor National Park
• Presently designated as a commercial property but lived in for many years as a private residence
• This superb property has potential alternative uses such as hotel or holiday letting accommodation
• The property offers tremendous atmosphere, history and scope for improvement

THE HISTORY

The history of Chapel Cleeve Manor dates back in parts to 1455 when Chapel Cleeve was consecrated by the Bishop of Bangor and replaced the Cleeve Abbey "Chapel of our Lady" which was damaged in 1396 by in roads of the sea.

After the dissolution of the Chapel in 1537 the building was leased to a gentleman of Taunton, one Anthony Busted for a period of 21 years. However, after only one year Henry VIII granted the lands and revenues to Robert Earl of Sussex in recognition of his services.

In 1623 the remains of the Chapel were sold to the Stewkley family who lived there until 1723 when it became the home of Dame Juliana Langham.

In 1880 the Halliday family purchased the property and their Coat of Arms can be seen on the centre gable. The main entrance and ballroom (now the Dining Room) were added by the Lysaght family in 1914.

The property has been utilised as a hotel by previous owners and for Conferences, Weddings and Banqueting facilities, today however, Chapel Cleeve Manor comprises a Tudor style Manor House extending from the original Chapel to its present 27,000 sq.ft. of accommodation but is no longer run as a hotel.

THE ACCOMMODATION
Chapel Cleeve Manor comprises of some 27,000 sq.ft. of accommodation including the Main House and West Wing / former Chapel, large basement areas and Monks Cottage.
THE MAIN HOUSE
Comprises Entrance Porch and Entrance Hall, 98' long gallery (ceilings are by the Italian Bankart) and set off by oak panelling and with a turned staircase to First Floor. Raised dais forming the open plan Dining Room 25' x 18' with oak panelling and ornate ceiling, Drawing Room 36' x 20' double aspect with oak panelling and ornate ceiling. Family Room 20'3 x 19'6, Cloakrooms, Morning Room 25' x 20', Inner Hallway and curved secondary staircase to First Floor, Octagonal Gazebo hall, Kitchen/Breakfast room 23'9 x 23'. (First Floor), 59' Main Landing, adjoining Store Rooms, 36' x 20' Master Bedroom Suite with 24'10 x 18'6 Lounge and 18'3 extreme x 17'6 extreme Ensuite Bathroom, Bedroom 14'6 x 12' and Ensuite, Bedroom 21'9 x 20' with Ensuite, Bedroom 31'9 x 20' with Ensuite Shower. Secondary Landing Bedroom 20' x 15'3 with Ensuite, Bedroom 17'6 x 14' with Ensuite, Bedroom 14'6 x 12' with Ensuite.

EAST WING (REQUIRES MODERNISATION AND RENOVATION)
Comprises Main Lounge 33' extreme x 17' extreme, Butlers Pantry 16'3 x 11'9, adjoining Store and Cloakrooms, Rear Hall, former Commercial Kitchen 19'9 x 18'6, Pantry 14'9 x 13'9 (First Floor), Landing, Bedroom 14' x 10'6, Lounge 20' x 17'9. Bedroom 13'9 x 12'9, Bathroom, Bedroom 18' x 15'6, Inner Landing, Bathroom, Bedroom 15'6 x 9'6, Bedroom 17'3 x 15'3, Store room 12' x 9'9, Bedroom 17'6 x 13' (Second Floor) Stair well and Landing Bedroom 12'9 x 11'9, Bedroom 12'9 x 9'9, Attic Room 1 17'3 x 15'3 with steps up to Attic Room 2 17'3 x 15' and door to Attic Room 3 16'3 x 8'.
MONKS COTTAGE
Living Room 16' extreme x 14'3 extreme, Kitchen 12'7 x 6'3 and 7'6 x 7'3, Dining Room 15' x 12', Bedroom 19'extreme x 15' with Ensuite. First floor Bedroom 16'3 x 15 with Ensuite.
LOWER GROUND FLOOR (BASEMENT)
Used by previous owners for storage and recreation, the basements are predominantly split into two main areas (Basement area 1) comprises two small storage areas, Room One 73'9 x 11'6 with Cloakrooms off, Room Two 35'6 x 19'6 and 13'9 x 11'6 with Cloakrooms off, Room Three 19'6 x 16'6 (Basement area 2) comprises Entrance, Room Four 21' x 14', Room Five 24'6 x 14', Room Six 19'9 x 17', Room Seven 19'9 x 13', Room Eight 17'3 x 14'3, Room Nine 17'9 x 13'6 and Room Ten 17'9 x 8'6.
OUTSIDE
Chapel Cleeve Manor is approached from a small country lane that links Old Cleeve and Chapel Cleeve with Blue Anchor Bay from which a drive leads passed the former walled nursery garden to the property. The property stands within approximately 7 acres of gardens and grounds which lie predominantly to the South of the Main House with views towards the Brendon Hills and the Exmoor National Park.

SERVICES
Mains water, electricity, drainage (to be confirmed).


256